Monday, January 30, 2012

Coffee Cozies

Our beautiful SIL Cindy made these for each of us girls for Christmas (isn't she crafty?). So I was obviously inspired and just had to make some more coffee cozies! 


This one is actually a gift for my BFF Kelley - she's had a tough week and may need someone to do something nice for her.  And since this is actually her fabric...

I ironed on some interfacing for stability and insulation and then cut out my pattern (I'll get it posted soon). Here's the fabric I used -- inside blue flowers is just cotton and the bright pink and green flowers is actually a flannel fabric.

Elastic loop on the one side - should have about one inch of loop. I doubled mine back around so it may be a little more reinforced.


Then I made a template for the flowers by cutting out two hearts, a small and large one. You can see I drew around the heart onto the pink felt (looking red in the pic). The larger flower was made with four heart "petals." And then I sewed it directly onto the outside piece, lining up with where the loop would meet the button. This will later prove to be a little bit of a design flaw on my part. I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone, but in the end, you can see that part of the flower is covered.


And here I took off my sewing foot so I could sew the button onto the small three-petal leaf onto the larger flower.

I put the right sides together and sewed all the way around the cozie, leaving about a two inch gap on the end closest to the flower. Turn it right side out and sew the opening. There you have it.  You can see how the larger flower is covered, but my BFF is the best and said she liked it. I think next time I would place a single button or other fastener a little closer to the end and the flower embellishment more towards the center.

No comments:

Post a Comment