Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Butternut Squash & Apple Baby Food

The baby's favorite food is anything orange. And in that catergory is butternut squash and applesauce. I bought two squashes and a big jar of naturaly applesauce. Had this been summer, I would have made my own applesauce, but I like easy workarounds anyway.

Split and seed the squash. And meat side down, pour about an inch of water in the dish, maybe more.

 Bake in a 350 oven for about 40 minutes. Then I check them with a knife for doneness. They should be soft and have no resistance. Then they come out like this, sometimes they cave in for me.


Scoop out the flesh and I add natural (no sugar added, organic, etc) applesauce. You can add as much or as little as you like, but I usually make it a 70/30 split. Then instead using ice cube trays, I spoon the mixture into cupcake pans and leave a little space so it makes popping out the frozen food easier. Store in a freezer ZipLoc bag.

And your baby will enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait for my little Michael to arrive so I can attempt to make nummies like this for him!

    ReplyDelete